Leningrad KV-1. Design and Production
(author M. Kolomiec)
KV-1 ("Kliment Voroshilov") - is one of the symbols of Soviet tank of World War II. According to his fame, this heavy tank is not inferior tanks such as the T-34, IS or the legendary German Panthers and Tigers. Around the KV-1 still hovers many different stories, myths and speculations. It is time to find а truth.
From this book you will learn:
- what purpose Kirov factory in Leningrad began developing a new heavy tank;
- why they use 60-mm armour;
- What core ideas is used to design tank;
- how many towers and what arms originally planned to install a tank;
- where the production was concentrated KV and who came to replace him;
- The "happy" battle-tested in Finland;
- the strengths and weaknesses of the tank;
- and much more!
In the book presents a completely whole production cycle of the KV-1. You can read about all the intricacies of the development of the tank, starting with the first prototype, and finishing tanks produced during the blockade of Leningrad. You will learn about the use of the tank in the snows of Finland during the Winter War, and other fronts of the Great Patriotic War.
Special mention is worth what book is focused on tanks that were projected on the later versions of the KV-1, and the fact that the book many unique photos and excerpts from archival documents. Richly illustrated edition: In addition to photos, you will see the factory drawings and large-scale projections basic variants of the KV-1. A significant portion of the materials presented in the book first published!
So, you will find 160 pages of interesting material about one of the most famous tanks of the Second World War.
About the author
The author, a renowned historian Maxim Kolomiec who specialized in tank and armoured vehicles . For many years he studied and KV tanks, we can confidently say that he is the most competent researcher of history of this machine.
In the design of the book binding used V.Petelina drawing, color illustrations - A.Aksenova, drawings - V.Malginova, color cut - P.Shitkin. The book uses illustrations from the collection of the Central Archives of the Ministry of Defence of the Russian State Film and Photo Archive, the Russian State Archive of Economy, Russian State Archive of Cinema St.-Petersburg, as well as archives Ya.Magnuskogo, A. Smirnov, Petrova and publishing "Strategy KM ".
The book uses material from the following sources:
- Russian State Military Archive . Funds: Armored Directorate of the Red Army , the Main Artillery Directorate of the Red Army , a collection of materials on the Soviet-Finnish War , the headquarters of the 20th Heavy Tank Brigade .
- Russian State Archive of the Economy . Funds: The People's Commissariat of Heavy Engineering , the People's Commissariat of Medium Machine Building , the People's Commissariat of Defense Industry , the People's Commissariat of State Control.
- Central Archives of the Ministry of Defence . Funds: Overview Armor Management , Main Artillery Administration , Field control of North -Western Front , Field management of the Leningrad Front , headquarters of the 42nd Army Headquarters 55th Army headquarters of the 1st Mechanized Corps , Headquarters 124 - Tank Brigade .